MOGADISHU(Halbeeg-News)- Several al-Shabaab fighters have been killed in a joint operation by Somali forces and US troops in Lower Shabelle region.
Somali army backed by African Union troops in Somalia (AMISOM) and US forces has recently stepped up offensives against al-Shabaab fighters in Southern Somalia.
In an interview with a local media in Mogadishu, the governor of Lower Shabelle region, Mohamed Ibrahim Barre has confirmed the raid in Hanti-Wadag village 12km on the outskirt of Janale town.
“Somali soldiers and US troops conducted operations near Janale town. During the operation a number of al-Shabaab fighters were killed, there were no civilian casualties,” he said.
The governor who did not mention the time the operation was conducted said that his administration is still investigating the casualties of the operation.
Barre vowed that operation would be rumped up and continuous till al-Shabaab fighters are annihilated from the region.
“We will organise more operations to hunt down the group and their bases in Lower Shabelle region. Al-Shabaab is getting weak,” the governor stated.
The remarks of the governor come barely four days after US airstrike killed six al-Shabaab fighters and destroyed one of the group’s technical vehicles in training bases in Southern Somalia.
The U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) official who confirmed the attack was carried out Tuesday in Somalia’s Bay region saying the raid caused no civilian casualties.
The U.S. carried out at least 47 airstrikes last year in the Horn of Africa nation.
Al-Shabaab continues to control some parts in southern and central regions and carry out deadly bombings against high-profile targets in the capital, Mogadishu.