Somali president Mohamed Farmaajo Tuesday evening commissioned 600 police recruits for public defense in response to the president’s call to the youth to defend the country after 14th October truck bombing that killed over 600 people
In a graduation ceremony held at Gen. Kahiye Academy, the newly commissioned junior police officers have formed guard of honour at the event.
The ceremony was attended by Somali state minister for Defense, chief Somali police and Military commander.
Speaking at the ceremony, President Farmajo commended the young officers for their commitment to defend their country.
“I can see gallant soldiers who are ready to liberate their country from Al-shabab, which dragging us behind and refusing us to compete with the rest of the world,” said President Farmajo.
The officials would be the second of the Public Defense recruits wrapping up training since within five months time.
The first batch of the public defense police who graduated in November last year have been already dispatched serve the public.
Early March this year, Zobe rescue committee investigating the toll of devastating truck bombing had released a final report putting the death toll of the blast at 655.
The report also said that an additional 303 people were injured during the explosion.
Although,no group has not yet claimed the responsibility of the attack, Somali government blamed Al-shabab for the deadly blast which was said to be the third deadliest blast in the history of Somalia.