GAROWE (Halbeeg News) – Candidates contesting for the presidency of Puntland state have concluded their campaign speech before the state’s parliamentarians on Monday.
Twenty-one candidates contesting for the speaker have presented their speeches in the presence of the 66 recently sworn in Puntland parliament members who Monday held the special session to listen to the statements of parliamentary leadership candidates.
The qualified candidates who are allowed to compete in the elections were allotted 10 minutes each to present to parliament their visions for the people.
Among the candidates running for the Puntland leadership is former Somali minister Interior, Ahmed Farah Saed Juha, Mohamed Abdullahi Hussein, Mohamed Saed Hirsi, Abdikadir Yasin Abdulle, who presented his speech before the members.
1. Abdiweli Ali Gas, the outgoing leader of state who seeks the second term, has pledged that he will focus on the following.
– Seeking more investment for the state saying during his ending five years he had succeeded to bring more investor into the country.
– He vowed to reshuffle the security agencies and improve the security of the state.
– He announced that he would carry out offensives against al-Shabaab and ISIL fighters in the state.
2. Abdifatah Saed Juha, former Interior who addressed the parliament has pledged to improve social amenities and health.
– Juha who also served Puntland state as minister education between 2009 and 2013.
– He vowed to improve the relations between the federal government and Puntland state.
– He promised to fight against corruption which he said had engulfed the state.
3. Adan Mohamed Isse, another candidate, vying for the presidency while addressing the lawmakers, has announced he will suspend the 30-year concession given to United Arab Emirates (UAE) to control Bosaso port if elected for the presidency.
– That he will reform the state forces to step up the security of the region.
– That he will launch a democratic process within two years.
– That he will fight against corruption and prosecute those found mismanagement.
4. Mohamed Abdullahi Hussein, a presidential candidate, has pledged the following if elected for the post.
– That he will form a constitutional court
– He will appoint auditor general to audit the expense and expenditure of Puntland government.
– He will put more efforts on education and health sectors.
Other candidates who addressed the parliament are:
Mohamed Osman Ali
Abdikadir Yasin Abdullahi
Dahir Mire Jibril
Over ten candidates contesting for deputy president are expected to conclude their speeches ahead of the anticipated ballot on the 8th of this month.
The presidential election will now take place on Tuesday.