MOGADISHU (Halbeeg News) – Somali government on Tuesday urged the Al-Shabaab to join in the peace process and rebuilding of the country.
Al-Shabaab fighters have been fighting Somali government since 2008 when the group was formed.
Speaking to the media, Somali chief army, Dahir Adan Elmi called on the group to renounce violence and bombings against the public.
“We are urging Al-Shabaab to stop fighting because their fight will only cause the death Somali people,” said Mr. Dahir.
He said the civilians will fall victim of the attacks carried out by the group.
The remarks of Dahir come barely a week after Al Shabaab gunmen killed over 20 people in two separate attacks in South and Central Somalia.
The group’s gunmen and a suicide car bomber struck a religious centre in Galkayo town on 26th of last month, killing a cleric and at least 14 of his followers.
In a separate attack in Mogadishu, seven people died when a car bomb exploded in front of shops in the Wadajir district of the capital.
The explosion occurred after security forces stopped a suspicious vehicle at the market South of the city.