Somali military on Monday said son of Al-shabab leader was killed in a joint operation in Lower Shabelle region.
A Somali military owned radio quoting officials said Somali elite forces backed by US forces raided Kunta Waray, an Al-shabab strong hold town.
The forces killed Hassan Ahmed Diriye Abu-ubeyda who was the son of Al-shabab leader alongside with twelve other Al-shabab fighters.
According the radio, the troops also eliminated two other commanders of the group who were identified as Yussuf Moalim Abdalla and Mohamud Mohamed Nur.
Al-shabab did not comment on the claims of the Somali military.
Ahmed Diriye Abu-ubeyda who is the incumbent leader of Al-shabab has succeed the group’s founder, Ahmed Godane who was killed along with 11 of fighters in US airstrike in 2014.
Abu-ubeyda like his predecessor, rarely attends public gatherings and is cautious in his movements.
Little is known about Abu-ubeyda who is suspected to be living Somalia’s Jubba regions.
The report of the killing coincides with President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo’s remarks to extend amnesty to the fighters who lay down arms and shun from violence.
“Despite the trouble caused by Al-shabab, many of Al-shabab members were misled, therefore we want to pardon the Somali youth who were misled by Al-Shabab,” Farmajo said on Saturday during speech at the parliament.
The president pointed out that his government would soon launch operations to seize the areas controlled by Al-shabab fighters.
“We will soon liberate the areas still under control of Al-shabab. We want to call on Somali people to stand with the national army,” announced the president.
Last month, Somali forces had destroyed the group’s Radio Andulus in operation that took place lower Shabelle.
Al-shabab which controls remote areas in South and Central of the country has been fighting to topple Somali government backed by International Community.
The group has lost many cities and towns to Somali forces supported by continental troops contributed by six countries in Africa.