The death toll from a truck bomb that exploded on 14th October at Zoobe Junction in Mogadishu rose to 655, rescue committee said Sunday.
Rescue committee tasked to give emergency support to the victims of the attack has concluded of five month-long support at an event held in Mogadishu.
A report released on Sunday night by the Rescue Committee shows the death toll has drastic increased from 512 to 655, making it the worst single attack in the country’s history.
The report indicates that Zobe attack wounded 303 people of which 17 are still undergoing treatment.
Death toll of the heinous attack increased by 28% when compared to the last report by the same committee last year, the new information indicated.
Over 1700 Orphans
The committee spoke to relatives of the victims and those wounded in the attack in efforts to establish accurate information.
1747 children had been rendered orphans by the truck bombing that detonated at Zoobe inter-section one of the busiest junctions in the capital.
” 1,547 children lost their fathers in the explosion as 198 others lost their mothers,” the report reads in part.
Security officials who spoke to AP said the bomb weighed between 600 kilograms to 800 kilograms.
The explosion’s intensity was increased by a fuel tanker which was passing the area during the blast.
$4.4 million donated
In the reports, committee has received $4.4 million in donation support the victims of Zobe attack.
“We received a total amount of $ 4,400,000 as donation. The governments of Somalia and Djibouti donated one million US dollar each, the administration of Puntland donated half million US dollars and the remaining 1.9 million came from Somali Diaspora,” the committee stated.