Mogadishu Stabilization Forces will soon launch operations to secure the city and avert further attacks from Al-shabab, officials said.
Government officials including prime minister, Hassan Ali Kheire, Benadir Governor, Abdirahman Omar Osman and Security Minister, Mohamed Abukar Islow have jointly held talks with the officials of Security Stablisation Unit on Sunday just a day after twin attacks shattered a month-long period of calm in the city.
Addressing the officials, prime minister, Kheire said the country’s top security officials and the government officials jointly agreed to speed up operations aimed to restore peace in the city.
“On Saturday, the cabinet ministers and Security officials discussed means to improve the security of the city. The officials unanimously agreed to launch operations to secure Mogadishu,” said PM Kheire.
The security minister who spoke at the meeting vowed to spearhead offensives against Al-shabab in Mogadishu.
He pledged that his ministry will deploy more soldiers to the city to flush out Al-shabab sleeping cells.
The sentiments of the leaders come amid clashes between the Stabilization forces and rival armed men led death of soldiers of the Stabilization forces.
Mid this month, confrontation between Somali army and the Stabilization forces near Ex-control Afgoye, had led the death of Soldier.
Prime Minister Kheyre described this infighting between government as unfortunate and warned the forces to avoid such acts in the future.
Somali government had formed about 1500 Mogadishu Stabilization forces last year. The forces were dedicated to prove security of the city.