New force of commander of AMISOM, Lt. Jim Beesigye Owoyesigire who assumed the office on Wednesday has pledged to continue the training and capacity building of Somali forces.
Owoyesigire took over the office from his predecessor, Osman Noor Soubegle in a handing over ceremony held at the Mission’s headquarters in Mogadishu.
Speaking at the ceremony Owesigyile promised that he will continue working working to build capacity of Somali Army.
” In my career, I have never withdrawn from the battlefield for the last 39 years and I like training; which am going to do with the Somali National Army, operate with them and when times comes, for the transition to handover the power, I will do that,” he said.
Security transfer to Somali forces
He said he would soon start the process of conditions-based transition and transfer of the security responsibility from AMISOM to the Somali security forces.
After more than ten years of operations in Somalia, AU last year declared that it drew strategy to withdraw its troops from Somalia.
“Some of priorities include overseeing a seamless, gradual and conditions-based transition and transfer of the security responsibility from AMISOM, to the Somali soldiers and we can fulfill that if we join our hands,” said Owesigyire.
The troops contributed by Burundi, Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and Uganda are helping Somali government forces to battle Al-shabab fighters.
Joint offensive against Alshabaab
The new commander pointed out that he would give his priority the fight against Al-shabab fighters in Somalia.
“All of us here have one problem, and that is Al-Shabaab. We don’t have to collocate with Al Shabaab. We need to fight him, break his backbone and then finally eradicate him. That’s my goal and I will achieve it,” the new Force Commander promised.
The sentiment of the commander comes on heel of the promise by So.ali government to defeat Alshabaab following the deadly October 14 truck bomb explosion in Mogadishu that killed over 400 people.